Balsamic vinegar and black pepper both pair wonderfully with ripe strawberries. That's why I was delighted when I found this strawberry fields cocktail that incorporates them both into a delicious, vodka-based drink with fresh strawberries. The strawberry fields cocktail would be perfect for using juicy summer berries, but I could see myself enjoying this tasty beverage any time of year.
The colour of this cocktail is simply beautiful. And the aged balsamic vinegar adds a wonderful depth that keeps things interesting. I love that it's not overly sweet as so many strawberry cocktails tend to be. Enjoy this cocktail with brunch, as a summer aperitif, or after dinner for a liquid dessert.
- Strawberries - Ripe and sweet strawberries are always the best.
- Vodka - Use an unflavoured vodka; preferably one of high enough quality to be nice and smooth.
- Lemon juice - Make sure to use freshly squeezed rather than bottled. It makes a huge difference.
- Honey syrup - This is simply made with honey and water. You can find the instructions below.
- Pasteurized egg whites - This is used to add a beautiful froth to the top of the cocktail and to give it a wonderfully silky mouthfeel.
- Aged balsamic vinegar - While this cocktail recipe originally just calls for regular balsamic vinegar, I highly recommend using a nice, aged one. It will have so much more depth of flavour and will make such a difference in the flavour of this cocktail.
- Ground black pepper - Black pepper pairs very well with strawberries so this is an excellent touch to finish off the drink and give it a little more pizzazz.
See the recipe card below for quantities.
Not a fan of vodka? You can make this cocktail using your favourite blanco tequila or gin for a delicious variation of this drink.
Prepare the honey syrup first. Simply mix 3-parts honey together with 1-part hot water in a small bowl. Stir together until the honey has melted and mixed well with the water.
Next, hull and roughly chop 2 medium-sized strawberries. Place the strawberry pieces into your cocktail shaker. Use a muddler to muddle them into a purée.
Add the vodka, honey syrup, freshly squeezed lemon juice, and pasteurized egg whites into the cocktail shaker with the strawberry purée. Don't add any ice yet. To get a nice egg white foam for the top of our cocktail, we are going to 'dry shake' it first. This means shaking it without ice. Dry shake the cocktail vigorously for 30 seconds.
Now it's time to water down the cocktail a touch and make it cold with tiny ice shards. Do this by adding a few ice cubes to the shaker and shaking vigorously for another 20 seconds. Strain the cocktail into a coupe glass for serving.
Use a dropper to add 5 drops of balsamic vinegar on top of the foam. Drag a toothpick through the centres of the balsamic drops to shape them into hearts. Then add a dusting of ground black pepper on top.
To make this cocktail you will need the following:
- Cocktail shaker
- Cocktail strainer
In this cocktail bar set you will find all of those useful bar tools and more.
- Coupe glass
- Dropper and toothpick - These are optional to make the balsamic hearts.
The strawberry fields cocktail was created in 2014 by mixologist Trina Nishimura, also known for her anime voiceover acting career.Print
The strawberry fields cocktail is a delicious, vodka-based cocktail with bright berry flavour highlighted by aged balsamic and black pepper.
2 medium strawberries
1 ½ oz vodka
½ oz freshly squeezed lemon juice
½ oz honey syrup (recipe below)
½ oz pasteurized egg whites
5 drops aged balsamic vinegar *
ground black pepper
In a small bowl, mix together 3-parts honey with 1-part hot water. Stir until honey is melted and well blended.
Hull and roughly chop the strawberries. Place them into your cocktail shaker and muddle until they form a purée.
Add in vodka, honey syrup, lemon juice, and egg whites. Dry shake (with no ice) vigorously for 30 seconds.
Add ice and shake again for 20 seconds.
Strain into a coupe glass for serving.
Use a dropper to add five drops of aged balsamic on top of the foam. Drag a toothpick through the centres of the drops to make heart shapes.
Add a dusting of ground black pepper.
* While this cocktail recipe originally just calls for regular balsamic vinegar, I highly recommend using a nice, aged one. It will have so much more depth of flavour and will make such a difference in the flavour of this cocktail.
- Serving Size:
- Calories: 141
- Sugar: 24.1 g
- Sodium: 31.4 mg
- Fat: 1 g
- Carbohydrates: 33.2 g
- Protein: 3.9 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: strawberry fields cocktail